17.3.16

HOMEMADE SPINACH PASTA WITH WALNUTS

I know it's Saint Patrick's Day but the green is entirely coincidence. I don't drink, I don't pray to saints and I never rebel rouse without a cause. One day I was video surfing for a stand up comedy special and I got a list of string theory and cooking videos along with Ricky Gervais, since nothing is private these days. You may delete the history, but the Computer Deity knows all about you. That is how I came upon this spinach pasta video. 

I bought a package of spinach pasta once. It must have been during one of my health attacks. They seem to come and go, because we both enjoy good eating. As I recall the store-bought spinach pasta gave us a bad food experience. “Never ever OK?” said the Jim.

Responding to divine inspiration, I decided it was time I gave spinach pasta another chance. Although spring is in full swing in British Columbia, nothing edible is growing in the garden.

I took out a package of spinach I froze from last year’s crop. I freeze my spinach squeezed flat, it takes no time at all before I can chop it up. I chopped it very fine, minced it actually, and instead of a homogeneously green pasta, mine ended up cheerfully speckled. I made it again and for sure I make the speckled kind. Jim and I found it tasty and satisfying. With toasted walnuts, this spinach pasta makes a great meatless meal.

HOMEMADE SPINACH PASTA WITH WALNUTS
Pasta:
2 eggs
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup cooked or frozen minced spinach,
1/3 cup flour for kneading, rolling and cuttingWalnut Topping:
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

  • Place the first three ingredients in the beater bowl and using the paddle attachment combine.  
  • Gradually add 1-1/2 cups flour. 
  • Add the minced spinach.   
  • Change to dough hook and beat until dough is smooth. 
  • Alternatively, you can do this mixing in a large bowl by hand.
  • Place 1/3 cup of flour on a large cutting board. 
  • Knead as much flour into the spinach dough as you can.
  • The remaining flour will be used up for rolling the pasta. If you are rolling by hand, you will need additional flour.
  • Divide the dough in 4 pieces.
  • Take a piece of dough and flatten it.
  • Dust both sides with the flour.
  • Set the pasta roller to the widest setting.
  • Feed the flour dusted dough through the roller.
  • Repeat, dusting with flour and rolling.
  • When all the pieces are rolled out, set the roller to a lower setting.
  • Dust with flour again and continue rolling on a lower setting to the lowest setting.  
  • When all the pasta sheets are rolled through the lowest setting, dust with flour again and one by one feed them through the fettuccine cutter.
  • Dust with flour again and loosely move your hands through the fettuccine and spread it out on the cutting board.
  • Alternatively, you can roll and cut the pasta by hand.
  • Bring a large pot of salted water to full rolling-boil and add the spinach pasta.
  • Stir gently with fork so the fettuccine won’t clump together.
  • Cook until the water comes to full rolling-boil again. 
  • Drain, rinse and drain the spinach pasta.
  • Meanwhile heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat and add the chopped walnuts.
  • Stir until the walnuts emit a toasted aroma, but do not brown.
  • Transfer the cooked pasta in a warmed serving bowl and stir in the olive oil toasted walnut pieces.
  • Adjust the salt and serve it hot.
  • Serves 2 to 4.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!