28.6.13

MILK AND HONEY WHITE BREAD

Adapted from Taste of Home, this turned out to be the best North American style white bread I ever made. The whole milk and the well developed gluten give it a lofty, light texture and yet it slices beautifully even with my dull breadknife. “Wonderbread” this one is not. I wanted to use less flour, but in the end I was glad I followed the recipe. One word of caution, when it comes to baking with flour, always use the half cup - scoop and sweep method. I really don’t think this recipe would have worked any other way. The dough was fairly hard and it took some effort to develop the gluten. I was glad I had a Kitchenaid and I didn’t have to knead it by hand.
 
MILK AND HONEY WHITE BREAD
2-1/2 cups lukewarm whole milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup honey
8 cups unbleached flour
2 packages instant dry yeast
2 tsp salt
 
• Combine the milk, melted butter and the honey.
• In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, yeast and the salt.
• Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix to combine.
• Kneed the dough by hand for 12 minutes or if using a beater with a dough hook [in batches of 2 or 3] knead each batch for 6 to 8 minutes.
• Briefly knead together the batches and place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.
• Cover and let rise until doubled.
• Punch dough down and shape into two loaves.
• Place into well buttered or parchment lined 9X5 inch loaf pans.
• Cover and let rise until doubled.
• Preheat the oven to 375F and place the loaves in the oven.
• Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
• Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly.
• Remove pans from the oven and let cool on wire racks.
• Yield: 2 loaves.
 
 

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!