18.9.11

VERY LIGHT CHEESECAKE

I have been trying to come up with a low calorie cheesecake and I was beginning to think that it was an oxymoron until I saw this recipe on With a Glass. This was exactly what I was looking for! One of the quickest desserts I ever made and imagine a cheesecake with only 557 calories! I made it today and it was a huge hit. The only thing I would do differently is to use a smaller spring form cake pan, I do have one and it will make this cheesecake considerably higher. 

I never used quark before and I found the taste of this soft cheese product extraordinary. I paid over 8 dollars for the 500 g tub. [It works out to be exactly 2 cups] Add to that the cost of a vanilla bean and it’s not exactly a thrifty dessert. But for people who can’t afford New York cheesecake with 1080cal and 76g of fat per slice, this cheesecake is a wonderful alternative. 

VERY LIGHT CHEESECAKE
2 cups quark
3 Tbsp water
1 vanilla pod
4 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp Splenda
1-1/2 pkg. Knox gelatine

• Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds into a small saucepan.
• Add the pod too.
• Add 3 Tbsp water and bring to the boil.
• Simmer for 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
• Let it cool.
• Meanwhile lightly spray a 9 inch spring form cake pan with cooking spray. [This is so the parchment will stick to the pan.]
• Fully line the pan with parchment paper and set aside.
• Place the quark, sugar and the Splenda in a medium sized bowl.
• Stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
• Take the vanilla pod out the vanilla infusion and set the pod aside.
• Now place a fine sieve over the bowl and pour the vanilla infusion into the quark mixture.
• Press the vanilla pods through the sieve with a dinner spoon.
• Stir the vanilla infusion into the quark mixture and set aside.
• Place 1/4 cup of cold water in a small bowl and add the Knox gelatine. [Keep in mind that Knox gelatine has to be mixed into cold water and added immediately to whatever you want to gel.]
• Stir to dissolve.
• Add the dissolved gelatine to the quark mixture and stir to combine.
• Scoop the quark mixture into the prepared cake pan and place in the fridge for 3 hours.
• Place the pan in the freezer for 1 hour. This just makes inverting onto a platter a breeze.
• Take the pan out of the freezer, unhook the spring mechanism and invert onto a large platter.
• Decorate as desired.
• Serve with fresh fruit.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!