21.1.10

STUFFED PORK RIBS

This has been one of Jim’s favorites. We were newlyweds, I was a new immigrant and this was my first foray into the realm of Canadian style cooking. The recipe came from a Purity Cook Book Jim ordered through the mail. Jim loved it when I made it for him for a variety of reasons. I modified the recipe over the years; I found the original recipe produced tough ribs and soggy stuffing, none of which appealed to my Hungarian sensibilities. But Jim kept liking it and with some changes I made it my own.

STUFFED PORK RIBS
4 pork ribs
salt to taste
Apple Stuffing:
4 slices of light rye bread
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 apple, shredded
2 Tbsp olive oil,
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp thyme
1 tsp parsley

• Salt and bake the ribs in a covered dish at 320F.
• Depending on the size this could take 2-3 hours.
• Meanwhile prepare the stuffing.
• Cube 4 slices of light rye.
• Place bread cubes in a large bowl and set it aside.
• Chop the onions and set it aside in a separate small bowl.
• Chop the celery and set it aside in a separate small bowl.
• Peel, core and shred the apple and set it aside in a separate small bowl.
• Sauté the onions in 2 Tbsp of olive oil until soft.
• Add the celery and continue cooking for a couple of minutes.
• Add the sautéed onions and celery to the bread cubes.
• Add the shredded apple.
• Sprinkle with salt, pepper, thyme and parsley.
• With clean hands loosely combine contents of the bowl and set aside.
• When tender remove ribs from the oven.
• Let them cool somewhat.
• Grease a clean baking dish.
• Place one rib, meaty side down, inside the clean dish.
• Cover with stuffing and top with the other rib, meaty side up.
• From the original pan pour all the rib drippings on top of the ribs.
• Bake the stuffed ribs uncovered at 350F for 1-1/2 hours longer.
Apple Stuffing

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!