5.11.17

ZSUZSA’S CHOCOLATE WALNUT CAKE

Oh look what I found! Not as spectacular as it was back in 1972, but judging by the write up even THIS has to be several years old.

“So my darling’s birthday was coming and with four days of insane business prior, which included a music recital, another dinner, a school in-service day and an out of town trip the day before... and I was at a loss what cake to bake for him. I have a file folder of yummy choices, but what I didn’t have was time. Then I remembered the cake I used to throw together from scratch. The first time I made it was in my mother’s kitchen in 1972 with two babies in tow from Canada. Mamika had no cookbook, only handwritten notations and I certainly didn’t pack one from Canada and in those days you didn’t just run to the computer to print out a recipe. My dad watched me put the cake together and was amazed how I knew what to put into the bowl. If memory serves me right it was one of the few compliments my father ever gave me. The next time was when two of my paintings went on a tour in a juried show through Western Canada and of course nothing since and then he passed away last year with all his personality erased... he didn’t even know who he was by the end.” 


ZSUZSA’S CHOCOLATE WALNUT CAKE
Cake:
8 egg whites
8 egg yolks
8 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp cake flour, sifted
3 Tbsp very finely ground walnuts
2 Tbsp fine bread crumbs
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
Cocoa Buttercream:
1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
2-1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup cocoa, sifted

  • Preheat the oven to 350F.
  • Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
  • Secure the corners of the parchment with a dab of butter or oil.
  • Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside.
  • Beat the egg yolks and sugar for 4 minutes.
  • Reduce speed and gradually start adding the flour and the bread crumbs to the yolk mix.
  • Add the sifted cocoa, increase the speed and beat to combine.
  • Gradually fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture with a wooden spoon.
  • Transfer the batter to the prepared baking tray.
  • Gently spread out the batter evenly.
  • Bake the cakes at 350F until the middle of the cake when touched springs back.
  • Remove from the oven.
  • Place the baking tray on a wire rack to cool.
  • While the cake cools, prepare the cocoa buttercream.
  • Beat the butter with an electric beater for 3 minutes.
  • Reduce speed and add the sifted icing sugar.
  • Beat with an electric beater for 5 minutes.
  • Add the whipping cream and beat for 2 more minutes.
  • Reduce speed and add the sifted cocoa.
  • Beat until well combined.
  • Let cakes cool completely before icing the cake.
  • Gently pull off the parchment paper and along the long side divide the cake into 3 strips.
  • Place the first layer on your board, and spread with 1/3 of the cocoa buttercream.
  • Top with the second layer and spread with buttercream.
  • Place the last layer on top and spread the top with the remaining buttercream.
  • Transfer the cake to a long serving tray and chill for half hour before slicing.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!