21.10.17

SWEET & SOUR SAUSAGE

Several of my cookbooks contained a version of this recipe and time and again I would bypass all the mouth puckering contents, the pineapple, the vinegars and other fruity elements. Then yesterday I took a look at the double smoked Ukrainian sausage and thought I should just chop up some fruit and vegetables and stick them in the oven. 80 minutes later I took the pot out and we sat down to a pleasant meal. Moderation is the answer when you harbor distaste for soggy, overcooked, and over flavoured things. I do think that restraint warrants a note and depending on the ingredients I have on hand, with slight variations this shall be made again. The apples and the lemon juice added just the right amount of fruity tang, the leek retained its structural integrity that the onion would fail at, and since most of the vegetables were on the dense side, they pretty well softened at the same rate. I patted myself on the back and my partner in crime, after all he grew all the fresh ingredients, scooped up the leftovers and took them to the fridge.

SWEET & SOUR SAUSAGE 
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large or 2 medium sized starchy potatoes
2 carrots
1 smallish leek
small wedge of red cabbage
1 red pepper
2 apples
12 inch segment of Ukrainian or Polish sausage
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 heaping Tbsp liquid honey

  • Preheat the oven to 400F.
  • Place the oil in an ovenproof medium size pot.
  • Peel, core, chop and slice the vegetables and the apples.
  • Gather them into a large colander and wash thoroughly under running water.
  • Transfer them to the pot with the oil.
  • Sprinkle with salt to taste and toss to coat.
  • Slice the sausage and add to the pot.
  • Add the lemon juice and the honey and toss to coat.
  • Place pot in the preheated oven for 80 minutes or so.
  • Yields: 3 to 4 servings

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!