15.10.17

SHAVED ROASTED BEETS

The mother of invention…With a row of pickled beets in the pantry, 40 more pounds in the ground and my concern were a couple of large beets in the fridge. Something must be wrong with me. These won’t feed “the starving children of India” as the saying goes, bad bad Zsuzsa, so why am I worried? This surely is the last curse of abundance. I dealt with the zucchinis and the flow of eggplants, only the beets are left now. Old habits die hard, I could have sent it out with the compost, what I really wanted was something green. Instead I cooked beets, correction, roasted beets again. Time was of essence and beets being notoriously hard vegetables… I shaved them on the mandolin. A change in preparation and you get a fresh new experience. 25 minutes later we ate it up with dinner. Maybe it’s my palate, but the beets were sweet enough and flavourful enough not to season them beyond the salt. I overheard Jim tell a friend on the phone that he eats really well being my guinea pig food tester and that I cook so well. I could easily turn it around and say he overplants and I have to think up new ways to use all the stuff, but I won’t. I said something about the cucumbers last year and this year he planted none. But 40 more pounds of beets?

SHAVED ROASTED BEETS
2 larger beets
4 Tbsp olive oil
Sprinkle of salt

  • Preheat oven to 375F.
  • Line a heavier baking tray with parchment paper.
  • Peel the beets and thinly slice on a mandolin.
  • Drizzle with 2 Tbsp olive oil.
  • Toss to coat.
  • Then spread it out in a single layer as possible.
  • Sprinkle with salt.
  • Bake for 25 minutes or until crispy and slightly brown.
  • Be sure to watch it closely so they don’t burn.
  • Remove from oven, sprinkle with the remaining olive oil, toss and serve.
  • Very tasty.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!