16.9.17

DULCE DE LECHE OATMEAL BARS

My kitchen filled with the sweet smell of caramel, but at first I found the bar overly sweet. I already gave away most of it when I thought maybe... maybe I should take a photo of the few I had left. I am glad I did, because by evening it turned into a different bar cookie, the texture settled and the flavours mellowed. It was less sweet too. Still I increased the salt from a pinch to 1/2 tsp. This was a bit more involved bar than your average "Magic Cookie Bar", though opening a can of dulce de leche was a far cry from making it from scratch. From Roxana’s Home Baking. Go ahead, eat your oatmeal!

DULCE DE LECHE OATMEAL BARS
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cold butter, diced
1 can 300ml Eagle Brand dulce de leche

  • Heat the oven to 350F.
  • Fully line an 13X9 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set it aside.
  • In a food processor add all the ingredients except the dulce de leche.
  • Pulse it a few times until it comes together in a ball.
  • Reserve 1/2 cup of the cookie dough. Press it together, wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer.
  • press the remaining dough onto the prepared baking pan.
  • Bake for 20 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, pour the dulce de leche in a saucepan, and heat it and heat it to pouring consistency.
  • Take the pan out of the oven and pour the dulce de leche on the top.
  • Grate the frozen reserved dough over the dulce de leche layer and bake it for 25 more minutes or until golden brown. The sides are a good indicator the bar is ready, don’t let it harden to a candy.
  • Place the pan on a rack and let the bar cool down completely.
  • If the bar is stuck to pan, press down a pastry cutter along the sides to dislodge. 
  • You may cut the bar into squares or rectangles, but is you wait a few hours, the flavour and the texture will improve considerably.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!