8.3.14

WILTED SPINACH WITH GARLIC

But not the limp, slimy kind! We love Hungarian creamed spinach, but for a change I devised a simple side dish and since then I even used it to fortify my mashed potatoes. The man may complain I experiment on him, but our meals are never boring.

I never cared for frozen spinach but after Leilah found a giant worm in hers, I will definitely not use it. I prefer my spinach fresh and tied together in a bunch; not in a bag with bits of it rotting in the middle. Lucky for me, fresh spinach is available year around and its one of the staples I get from New Leaf. I turn over every leaf for critters and wash each leaf separately. There is nothing worse than crunching on sand during dinner. I measure the spinach by handfuls. Whatever I can grasp with one hand is sufficient spinach for one serving.

WILTED SPINACH WITH GARLIC
2-3 handfuls of fresh spinach
2 Tbsp olive oil
4-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

• Check the spinach for critters.
• Chop the bigger pieces and cut the stems.
• Place in a large bowl and rinse well.
• Transfer to a colander to drip dry.
• Slowly heat the olive oil in a non stick fry pan.
• Add the chopped garlic and sprinkle salt on it.
• Slowly sauté the garlic for a couple of minutes, but do not burn.
• Add the drained spinach and toss to combine.
• Sauté the spinach on medium heat for one minute and then turn it over with a pair of kitchen thongs.
• Sauté for one minute. You don’t want the spinach to cook, just want to wilt it.
• Sprinkle with ground pepper and serve immediately.




Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!