12.6.12

LENTIL FETA SALAD


Adapted to from the salad on Just Easy Recipes and I have to agree this salad is easy and simple. I cooked my own lentils, they were done by the time I chopped up the vegetables and whisked up the dressing. I rinsed them under cold running water and promptly assembled the salad. I changed some of the amounts, but otherwise, I followed the recipe faithfully. I made it for a family gathering and it was a hit.

My grocery store  carries a small Italian/Greek cheese section by the deli counter. That is where I buy my Saputo brand feta in 1 kg packages. It is a very creamy, mildly salty feta and is ready for use. I keep it in the freezer to retain the freshness. It costs $16.00, but just think how little feta you are getting in those tiny packages or tubs for five dollars and up someplace else. And these feta buys are not only expensive. They are also very salty, so salty that you have to soak them in water for a day. They are also hard or are mixed and flavoured with herbs and oil. Try to find a mildly salty, creamy feta in an Italian deli if you don’t have access to a creamy feta at your supermarket.

LENTIL FETA SALAD
Salad:
1/2 cup of green lentils, cooked and rinsed
1 yellow pepper, sliced into cubes
1 green pepper, sliced into cubes
1 tomato, sliced into cubes
1/2 red onion, sliced into cubes
1 cup of creamy feta cheese [Saputo]
1/2 cup chopped coriander
Dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp mixed herbs

• Place the lentils in 1-1/2 cups of water and cook until soft.
• Meanwhile wash the vegetables and dice them into large cubes.
• Place the vegetables in a large bowl and set aside.
• Make the salad dressing and set aside.
• Combine dressing ingredients in a measuring cup.
• Whisk together with a small balloon whisk until mixture emulsifies.
• Set the dressing aside.
• Drain the cooked lentils.
• Rinse them under cold running water and drain again.
• Add the lentils to the chopped vegetables.
• Add the feta cheese.
• Toss lightly and transfer mixture into a salad bowl.
• Transfer the dressing [via funnel] into a decanter and serve it alongside the salad.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!