20.1.12

BAKED CORN CRACKERS

Yesterday’s corn crackers got me all fired up and my excitement only grew as I made a whole batch today with 4 flavourings, garlic, lemon pepper, dill and grated parmesan. I mixed up the dough in four tiny batches. To make it easier to divide, I increased the olive oil from 1 Tbsp to 4 teaspoons. Every ingredient now divides by 4 with the exception of the water. But I figured it out; if you divide 2/3 cup water by four, it works out exactly 1/8 cup + 2 tsp. It was a bit finicky, but it was all worth it in the end. In the future even if I make it the same flavour, I will still divide the dough before rolling. It is much easier to roll it out in four parts. The major bonus being that a smaller amount is easily flips around, and then rolls easier and in the end, you get thinner crackers. The most important step is rolling out the dough as thin as possible. If the crackers are thick, they will be hard instead of crispy. I cut most of the dough with a pizza cutter and by far that was easiest. [Yesterday I used a ravioli cutter] Many thanks to Mr. Three Cookies: AMAZING~~~

BAKED CORN CRACKERS
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp of your choice of flavouring [I used dill, grated parmesan, lemon pepper and garlic powder]
4 tsp olive oil

• Preheat the oven to 400F.
• Combine ingredients in a bowl.
• Add the water gradually; you may not need all of it. You need just enough water to form a ball.
• Divide the dough and shape into four balls.
• Place one ball on a sheet of parchment paper and roll out the dough as thin as you can manage. Occasionally flip the dough, this makes for easier rolling. The dough will not stick [not unless you put in too much water]. Always roll from the middle in each direction.
• Slide the parchment paper onto a large baking sheet.
• With a ravioli or pizza cutter cut up the dough and slightly separate the crackers.
• Bake the crackers for 10 minutes or until they start getting a little colour. Beware these crackers can over bake in seconds.
the dill crackers

Half a batch 2 flavours

baked for 10 minutes

I rerolled the scraps

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!