8.8.10

FRESH FRUIT CAKE BREAD - GYÜMÖLCSÖS SÜTEMÉNY

Hungarian recipes are either lengthy novels or brief notes, assuming that you already know what the cook was thinking. I was already lost with the title. You see there is no exact word in English for sütemény, because the only translation is cake and this isn’t a cake, it’s more like a bread loaf baked in a cake pan. I made this for dessert last night and boy was I disappointed! Mercifully I used only half of the ingredients and a small square pan. We had it hot out of the oven; it was heavy and crumbly. But a few hours later just as I was about to dump it, I noticed a change. As I removed it from the pan, the cake stayed intact, but somehow seemed lighter than it should have been. I sliced into it and this time it made an attractive smooth cut. Only two hours passed and it was a different cake. This bar cake obviously needs to develop before you slice into it. At the end it turned out to be not a cake, but a bar cake shaped tea bread. Come to think of it should be called ‘fresh fruit cake bread’. It holds its shape well, making it perfect for lunchboxes or picnics. I wouldn’t serve it for dessert though; it isn’t THAT light after all. The preparation of course was minimal. I used apricots, but peaches, apples or berries would work equally well. Would I make it again? Yes, just not for dessert.

FRESH FRUIT CAKE BREAD
4 cups apricots
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp fruit fresh
4 eggs
1-1/4 cups sugar
2 Tbsp vanilla
1/2 cup oil
1 cup yogurt
3 cups flour
1-1/2 Tbsp baking powder
cooking spray

• Wash apricots, remove stones and slice.
• Place in a bowl and sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar.
• Sprinkle 2 Tbsp Fruit Fresh on the top.
• Stir gently to coat apricot slices.
• In a bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil, yogurt and vanilla.
• Add the flour and the baking powder.
• Whisk to combine.
• Spray a rectangular cake pan with cooking spray.
• Pour in the batter and arrange apricots on the top.
• Bake at 375F until the knife inserted in center comes out clean.
• Let bar cake develop for a couple of hours before slicing into it.

    

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!