11.5.10

WAX BEANS STEW - SÁRGABABFŐZELÉK

A funny thing, I saw only wax beans growing up, at least wax were the only fresh beans Grandma ever bought. She used to call it "zöldbab" which translates green beans. Green of course referring that it was fresh and not of green colour. Unbeknown to me there could have been actual fresh green beans in parts, but I was not aware of that. I am pretty sure by now there are actual green beans available in Hungary... and I wonder if Grandma was alive what would she call wax beans, haha, yellow green beans? 

Well it is the reverse now, wax beans are hard to come by in Kamloops, which is a pity, because I think they are superior to green. But with the Jim growing it, I get to have my fill year after year after year. 

WAX BEANS STEW
4 cups or 4 large handful of fresh yellow wax beans, chopped 
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
1 garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream
additional sour cream for serving

• Remove the bean ends and pull off the tough stringy bit from the sides.
• Rinse beans under cold running water.
• Chop into 1-1/2 inch lengths.
• Place chopped beans in a wide bottomed pot [like smallish dutch oven].
• Add water to the level of the beans.
• Bring it to boil, reduce to simmer and place a lid on the pot.
• Cook beans until almost tender.
• Remove pot from heat and set aside.
• To make a roux, place a non stick fry pan on medium heat.
• Heat up the olive oil and stir in the flour.
• Continue stirring until the roux begins to get a bit of color.
• Stir in the paprika and the minced garlic.
• Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of COLD water.
• Stir the mixture smooth.
• Gradually add the roux mixture to the pot of cooked beans.
• Place over medium heat and bring it to a slow simmer.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• Slowly simmer beans for a couple of minutes.
• Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
• Serve the "zöldbabfőzelék" with extra sour cream.
  Recipe serves 4 as a meal and 6 as a side dish.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!